NRA President Discusses Project Exile
(Posted from http://www.NRAWinningTeam.com/)
This synopsis should not be considered a substitute for the audio interview;
The following is the NRAWinningTeam.com synopsis of an interview conducted
by NRA-Live's Ginny Simone
with Charlton Heston, President of NRA.
The entire RealAudioŽ interview is available as
"Project Exile: Charlton Heston at the Rep. Governors Conference" in the
"Archive News" section of NRA's new. fully Multi-Media-based web site...
it is provided only for discussion purposes.
In a November 20th interview, Charlton Heston spoke about
the startling success of Project Exile. This simple yet revolutionary
program is yielding fantastic reductions in crime in Richmond, Virginia,
where it has been operational for over 1 year.
Virginia's Governor Gilmore is a strong proponent of the program, and
is working to have it codified statewide by his legislature. Recently,
NRA has attained Congressional funding of $2.3 million for Project Exile
to spread to
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Camden County, New Jersey.
At a recent Annual Meeting of Republican Governors, Mr. Heston
addressed a body of 31 GOP state leaders, including both Bush brothers.
The governors were amazed by the reported Project Exile results and
reacted quite positively
to the program. The Federal Attorney from Virginia tried to attend the event,
but was directed not to by his superiors in the Administration. Mr. Heston
pondered why the President is not taking the lead with Project Exile, and offered
to allow him "all the credit" should he choose that option.
ADDITIONAL INTERVIEW POINTS / QUOTES
- Project Exile mandates a 5 year prison sentence without possibility of
probation or parole for felons caught in possession of a firearm.
- Project Exile mandates a 15 year prison sentence without possibility of
probation or parole for felons caught in possession of a firearm during the commission
of a crime.
- The crime rate in Richmond, VA dropped by 55% in less than a year.
- The crime rate in Richmond, VA has dropped 65% overall.
- There is no question that word of the severe Project Exile penalties
has become common knowledge 'on the street'.
- HESTON: "...[Project Exile] has been such a spectacular success
in Richmond, that I am a little puzzled why the Administration hasn't
- HESTON: "...That kind of success was quite startling. I think the
Administration just fell behind the curve on it..."
- HESTON: "...To say you are tough on crime isn't quite the same
as being tough on crime. The President says he's tough on crime,
but this Project Exile proves so quickly, and bears fruit
so readily, that it kind of startles everybody..."
- HESTON: "...Brady was a disaster, Project Exile works..."
- Ginny Simone pointed out the extreme irony of experiencing such
spectacular results from Project Exile, and still viewing the number of lawsuits
against which gun manufacturers are having to defend across the country.
- Heston and Simone discuss a new "I'm the NRA" campaign, with spokespersons
such as Governor Gilmore, Congressman Steve Largent,
Nolan Ryan and Tom Clancy.
Click here for other NRAWinningTeam synopses like this one.